Monday, March 2, 2009

Meditation

Anson meditates. He does it every day. He is even writing a book about meditation. I can see a difference in him when he does it. He just seems to be more relaxed, less stressed, happier, and just....at peace. If he forgets to do it for one reason or another, I notice it.

About a year ago, we went to Jantzen Beach to one of our favorite stores, called "Knotty Wood". Anson fell in love with a "Gong" that they had there. I'm not talking about a tabletop
gong, but a good sized, piece of furniture sized gong. It's about 4 feet tall and 3 feet wide. It's pretty cool.

That store gets everything from Indonesia and we've bought a lot of things there over the years. When we brought it home Anson wanted to put it in our bedroom. I thought it was a little weird but let it go. As he has gotten deeper and deeper into meditation, things have been accumulating in front of this gong. A few months ago he got a Crystal Singing Bowl. "The vibrations of the Singing Bowl open and activate the Chakra energy and centers of the body and balance and harmonize the surrounding environment."



He also uses a fountain,



candles, incense


and
a Falling Rain Chime. A Falling Rain Chime is a "wooden maple box that produces sounds
reminiscent of gentle falling rain to promote sleep, reduce stress and help in meditation and relaxation. The box is filled with hundreds of tiny steel beads that are slowly released down onto metal chimes for 15 to 35 minutes and the beads never fall in the same pattern twice."




When he first got that rain chime, it would wake me up in the middle of the night! I got so annoyed. So now Anson has to tip it upside down so no more beads drop in the middle of the night.

This stuff takes up a good sized area in our bedroom, but I'm okay with it.
Just thought I'd share! :)





2 comments:

Rachel J. Morris said...

That's pretty neat.
I love incense, but some people think it stinks. D:

LaMont's Blog said...

Hey this is the type of gong that we saw the "natives" making. I bought a small one that can go into my suit case. We heard them played while the women danced when we were in Kuching, Malaysia, last year. Great experience.